Habitat Assessment Drives 2026 Climate Goals
Company Top UK Utility
Location United Kingdom
Solution Intelligent Sustainability Management System (ISMS)
Meet Targeted ESG Reporting Goals for Land Sustainability
As part of its sustainability goals for environmental social governance (ESG) reporting, this major U.K. utility set its sights on improving the natural environment of the land it owns by at least 10% by 2026. To step up to this sustainability challenge, the utility needed climate technology that would:
- Undertake habitat assessment at scale using government-approved standards — monitoring more than 1,000 sites.
- Systematically measure, prioritize plans and report land improvements.
- Incorporate the flexibility to assess biodiversity net gain* with no net loss and gauge a range of client-specified natural capital metrics.
Measure and Track Progress From Space
The solution was to automate a habitat survey from space. Using AiDash’s Intelligent Sustainability Management System (ISMS), the utility now defines and measures sustainability via satellites and AI. ISMS interprets raw data to assess progress. Automated reporting provides figures at the single site level and quantifies the utility’s overall portfolio of sites.
The solution also has developed a Natural Capital Accounting System scorecard, which ranks:
- The amount of carbon each site absorbs.
- How well the utility is improving biodiversity to align with U.K. government net gain standards.
- How well the utility is supporting pollination, air quality, recreational benefits, and food production, as well as other ecosystem services.
Track What’s Successful, Run Scenarios for Future Goals
Since deploying the sustainability management capabilities of AiDash’s ISMS solution, the utility has enabled automated measurements for all 1,000+ sites. The baselines they set allow progress to be easily tracked. Further, the ISMS solution:
- Delivers 70% to 90% reduction in air and land sustainability costs.
- Reduces site analysis time to days versus months
- Provides transparency of information and land change governance.
- Presents auditable information for ESG reporting.
- Allows the utility to run scenarios to determine the best approaches for meeting future sustainability targets.
* Biodiversity net gain (BNG) is an approach to development, and/or land management, that aims to leave the natural environment in a measurably better state than it was beforehand.