Fortune 500 Utility Company Transforms Vegetation Management for Their Entire T&D Line With AiDash
Accurate insights transforms planning, budgeting and spend
You can't manage what you can’t see
With more than 60,000 line miles, this Fortune 500 energy company manages one of the largest systems in the United States with a vegetation management budget well over $200 million.
Yet the vegetation management team did not have adequate visibility and transparency with their contractors. As a result, they frequently reached less than 50% of their annual trimming goal. Costs rose and network reliability dropped due to a number of contributing factors:
- Without enough detail to bid accurately, contractors’ bids were artificially high.
- Trimming crews often had the wrong tools for their site’s terrain, resulting in costs and delays.
- Critical areas were sometimes missed while noncritical areas received too much attention.
Accurate visibility gives you control
The company deployed satellite technology through AiDash Intelligent Vegetation Management System (IVMS) on their entire transmission and distribution line of over 60,000 miles. With sophisticated artificial intelligence and work management software, they gained control of their budgets and managed their contractors more closely. IVMS gave them several new advantages:
- Accurate estimation of needed work (crew hours and cost), to identify various work types and floor work, and analyzing vegetation density.
- Detailed 5-year circuit-level trim planning based on criticality and trim cycles.
- Detailed bid packets and job packets for contractors, including comparisons of estimated costs and actual bids.
Better oversight = Fewer outages
- Delivered contractor bids that were markedly more accurate, through better identification of site restrictions.
AiDash is an AI-first vertical SaaS company on a mission to transform operations, maintenance, and sustainability in industries with geographically distributed assets by using satellites and AI at scale. With access to a continual, near real-time stream of critical data, utilities, energy, mining, and other core industries can make more informed decisions and build optimized long-term plans, all while reducing costs, improving reliability, and achieving sustainability goals. To learn more about how AiDash is helping core industries become more resilient, efficient, and sustainable, visit www.aidash.com.